The Institute of International Relations and Social and Political Sciences (IIR&SPS) originally was established as part of the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting Studies in 2004. In 2006, the Institute became a separate unit of the University.
The Institute embraces the subject areas of International Relations, Political Science, Social Sciences, Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations, Cultural and Regional Studies. Students graduate with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a relevant field of study and a command of two foreign languages. They can also add a third (fourth) foreign language. All in all, there are 25 foreign languages taught at the Institute: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Finnish, Dutch, Bulgarian, Polish, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Chinese, Korean, Kurdish, Japanese, Ukrainian, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Armenian, Lithuanian, Georgian, Romanian and Moldovan.
The Institute has more than 1200 students (849 tuition-free places), including some 1100 students in Bachelor's programmes and almost 200 students in Master's programmes. Currently, the Institute has 63 international undergraduate and 4 postgraduate students from 26 countries.
The academic staff (29 lecturers with post-doctoral degrees and 48 lecturers with research doctorate degrees) are a professional team of leading and highly-regarded scholars in their fields.
At undergraduate and graduate levels, the department offers degree programmes in
Students can go on to complete a PhD in